Current Year - School Transfers 2023 - 2024

INTRA-DISTRICT Permits for the 2023-2024 School Year:

If you live within the boundaries of the Monrovia Unified School District and wish to request a permit to attend another school within the boundaries of the Monrovia Unified School District during the 2023-2024 school year, please fill out an Intra-district permit. Intra-district transfers may be permitted when space is available in the school and a particular grade level is requested. Parents shall assume full responsibility for transportation. 


1.  You must reside within the boundaries of a Monrovia Unified School District school.  All Intra-district permit requests will be handled individually, not on a first-come, first-served basis.


2.  All submission requirement documents must be included as part of the application:

  • Child Care: Provider must live in the school residency boundary.
  • Work: Work address must be in the district boundaries.
  • Other


3.  When a decision is made as to space availability, you will be notified by Student Support Services.


4. Please note that the District may revoke any permit and the student returned to the school of residence due to excessive enrollment at the chosen school, unsatisfactory academic progress, unsatisfactory attendance, or unsatisfactory behavior.


5. Notice that failure to adhere to timelines will be deemed an abandonment of the request.


6. Current year permit requests will receive notification within 30 calendar days.


CLICK HERE for the INTRA-DISTRICT Transfer Permit Application Link


Intra-District Transfer Expiration and Renewal

Students who are accepted on an intra-district transfer submitted during the open enrollment period are considered to have established residency in that school and shall be allowed to remain in that school until the highest grade served. It does not extend to the other schools in the attendance area of choice.



INTER-DISTRICT Permits for the 2023-2024 School Year:

The Monrovia Unified School District will begin accepting applications for inter-district transfer in (Date TBD) for the 2023-2024 school year. Inter-District Transfer Permits to attend schools in Monrovia Unified School District require a release from the home district. Please note that some districts do not provide a release until Spring semester. All requests will be considered individually, not on a first-come, first-served basis. Please upload any verification documents indicated.


Please read the following before completing your online application.

Authority for Transfers
In accordance with Education Code (EC) 46600 through 46608, inclusive, and 48204, the Monrovia Unified School District may establish agreements to provide for an exchange of pupils and allow pupils to enroll in school districts other than which they reside.

a. Approving the enrollment of pupils who reside outside of school district's boundary is not mandatory.


b. Approval of your application for an Inter-District attendance permit does not guarantee placement at a school you request. The district may approve your request for a transfer and offer placement at any school in the district with space for the student. 


c. Falsification of any information provided on this application or during the enrollment process is cause for immediate denial or revocation of your Inter-District attendance permit. 


Steps in the Inter-District Attendance Permit Application Process


Step 1: Complete all sections of the Application for Inter-District Permit. Incomplete applications will be returned to the parent. Requests for transfer may be considered if there is sufficient room in the district in the student’s grade level and program. To assure the school district involved in the transfer has the information it needs to make this determination, you must submit a copy of your child’s last Section 504 Educational Plan or special education Individual Education Plan (IEP) if your child is supported by one of these plans.


The reasons for transfer described on this application may be considered by the school districts involved in accordance with the policies of heir governing boards. School district will require submission of supporting documents with your application for items denoted below with an asterisk (*). Examples of reasons for transfers include, but are not limited to:


a. Renewal of Permit: The student's current Inter-District transfer permit is about to expire because the student is completing the highest grade level in their school or is moving into a new district of residence. 


b. Moved out of the desired district: The student moved out of the desired school district and requests to remain enrolled. 


c. Promoting/Graduating Class: The student requests to remain with a class promoting/graduating that school year from an elementary, middle, or high school. 


d. *Sibling in desired district: The transfer is requested because the student has a sibling attending school in the desired district. 


e. *Childcare: The parent/guardian must provide written evidence the transfer is needed to meet the childcare needs of the student. If approved, the student may be allowed to continue to attend district schools only if he/she continues to use a childcare provider within district boundaries.

f. Temporary permit: The student has moved out of the district and wishes to complete the current school year in the district.

g. *Moving into desired district: The parent/guardian must provide written evidence that the family will be moving into the district in the immediate future and would like the student to start the school year in the district.

h. *Victim of bullying: The parent/guardian must provide written evidence the student has been determined by staff of either the district of residence or desired district to be a victim of an act of bullying as defined in EC 48900(r), committed by a student of the district of residence.

i. *Specialized program: The student requests enrollment in an educational program not offered in the district of residence. If approved, the student may be required to remain in requested program to remain enrolled in the desired district.

j. *Social Services recommendation: The parent/guardian must provide written evidence the transfer is recommended by the School Attendance Review Board or by county child welfare, probation, or social service agency staff in documented cases of serious home or community problems which make it inadvisable for the student to attend the district of residence.
k. *Employed within boundaries of desired district: The parent/guardian must provide written evidence the parent’s/guardian’s place of employment is within the boundaries of the district of desired attendance. NOTE: An Inter-District attendance permit issued for this reason does NOT constitute recognition of a claim of residency as described by California EC 4820)


Step 2: Submit the application to the district in which you live in accordance with the district’s policies and procedures governing Inter-District transfers.


Step 3: If approved by your district of residence then your district of residence will submit your application to the district of desired attendance.


Timeframe for District Response

a. EC 46601 provides the following timeframes for notification:

i. For request submitted during the regular school year, districts shall respond within 30 calendar days of submitting the request.
ii. For request submitted for admission in the subsequent school year up to 30 calendar days prior to the start of the subsequent regular
school year, districts shall respond within 14 calendar days of the start of the subsequent school year.


b. While the application is pending, the student must attend school in the district of residence, a charter school, a private school, or other option complying with California compulsory education requirements.



a. A permit for Inter-District attendance is valid only while conditions stated on the permit are maintained, and the permit may be revoked by the granting district for failure to comply with conditions (attendance, behavior, grades). Permits may be issued to allow transfer to another district for a limited time.
b. Should the student’s residence change from one district to another, you will need to apply to your new district of residence to remain in the district of desired attendance.


Appeal of Denials


Contact the school district issuing the denial for information on the school district’s appeals process. The person having legal custody of the student may appeal, within 30 calendar days of a school district’s failure or refusal to issue a permit, to the County Board of Education having jurisdiction over the district of residence of the legal guardian. Failure to appeal within the required time is good cause for denial of an appeal. An appeal shall be accepted only upon verification by the County Board’s Designee that all appeals within the district have been exhausted. 


*The following guidelines apply to all current and future Inter-District transfer permits:


1.  You will need to provide the current corresponding verification documents related to the reason (Child Care, Work, or Specialized Program), including but not limited to: report card, enrollment verification, discipline record, attendance verification, employment verification letter, or pay stub, childcare affidavit, note: your caregiver shall reside within the boundaries of district requested, and a utility bill, history of particular interest to include but not limited to awards, honors, certificates, coursework, student letter explaining particular interest, video, photos, acceptance letters addressed to your student, etc.


2. The Superintendent or designee may deny initial requests for Inter-District attendance permits due to limited district resources, overcrowding of school facilities at the relevant grade level, unsatisfactory attendance (below 96%) or excessive tardiness, unsatisfactory academic progress (GPA below 2.0), or unsatisfactory behavior.


3. Please note that the District may revoke any permit, and the student may return to the school or district of residence due to  unsatisfactory attendance, including, but not limited to excessive tardiness, attendance below 96%, or attendance that hinders academic progress, unsatisfactory academic progress that puts the student at risk of not promoting to the next grade level or failing to be in-line for high school graduation, or unsatisfactory behavior that poses a danger to students and/or staff or behavior that has failed to improve after other means of correction have been exhausted.


4. The district may deny an Inter-District permit request when the district determines that the additional cost of educating the pupil would exceed the amount of state aid received. 


5. Notice failure to adhere to the timelines will be deemed an abandonment of the request.


7. The inter-district transfer request to leave Monrovia Unified School District denials may be appealed to the Los Angeles County Office of Education within 30 days of the final denial notification.  


8. A student may provisionally attend the district to which they seek to transfer so long as the receiving district agrees; the parents can provide reasonable evidence that a final decision is pending before either the sending or receiving school district or before the County Office of Education and the duration of provisional attendance has not exceeded two months; and the circumstance in which an existing Inter-District transfer may be revoked or rescinded.


CLICK HERE for the Inter-District Transfer Permit Application Link


*Please  be advised for future year requests, a final decision will be made no later than 14 calendar days following the beginning of the school year for which the transfer is sought. Inter-District permit requests are approved based on available classroom space.


*Any request received 15 or fewer calendar days before the start of instruction in the school year for which the transfer is sought - "the current year" Inter-District transfer request - parents/guardians will be notified of the final decision within 30 calendar days of receiving the request. 


*Permit requests received 16 or more calendar days before commencement of instruction in the school year for which the transfer is sought, parent/guardian notification will be made as soon as possible, but no later than 14 calendar days after the start of instruction in that school year.